How do you judge the best dating app on the market and entrust this free technology to locate your soulmate? From Tinder hook-ups to Bumble opening lines, and the new Wingman options we've reviewed them all so you don't have to!
Reddit Advertising Policy REDDIT ADVERTISING POLICY Effective: December 11, 2018 The Reddit Advertising Platform (the “Platform”) is intended not only to provide a means for organizations of all sizes and budgets to promote their products and services, but also to enhance a user’s experience by providing engaging, relevant, accurate, and fair advertisements. Accordingly, Reddit reviews proposed advertisements to ensure the furtherance of these objectives, which are more specifically described in this Reddit Advertising Policy (the “Policy”).
While the Policy contains certain categories of prohibited and restricted advertisements, the Policy is neither an exhaustive list of all regulated categories of advertisements nor of each regulation related to any single category. Indeed, Reddit regularly reviews the objectives and policies of the Platform in light of emerging advertising trends, methods, and regulations, of the values and preferences of Reddit and its users, and of other operational considerations.
Accordingly, Reddit reserves the right to amend this Policy at any time without notice and to modify, reject, or remove any advertisements, including advertisements not explicitly prohibited by the Policy, in its sole discretion. I) Compliance with the Policy and Legal Requirements It is the responsibility of the advertiser to ensure that its advertisements and materials comply with all applicable laws and regulations, the Policy, and any instructions provided by Reddit.
While the guidelines below may reflect certain legal requirements that are applicable to advertisers within particular industries, these guidelines are not legal advice. Indeed, adherence to these guidelines may not be sufficient to fulfill the legal requirements and regulations applicable to your industry. Reddit urges advertisers to consult with their legal counsel regarding appropriate advertising practices for their industries, locations, and any additional locations targeted for advertising.
II) Prohibited Advertisements and Practices Reddit maintains a general prohibition on advertiser conduct that is designed to circumvent the Policy or to abuse the capabilities of the Platform. While this prohibition includes conduct that results in advertising-platform arbitrage, that redirects users to unknown destinations, that disseminates malware, that exploits data from users in an irresponsible manner, or that endeavours to circumvent Reddit’s review systems, whether specific conduct falls within this general prohibition is determined in the sole discretion of Reddit.
In addition to this general prohibition, Reddit prohibits advertisements related to the following categories of products and services on its Platform: 1. Products or Services in Violation of Trade Policies Advertisements may not relate to products or services that represent trade with countries subject to embargoes or trade sanctions by the United States.
2. Counterfeit Goods Advertisements may not promote or offer for sale counterfeit goods, including inauthentic collectibles or memorabilia and goods with a mark or logo that is likely to be confused with the trademark of another. 3. Hazardous Products or Services Advertisers may not use the Platform to promote the use or sale of hazardous, dangerous, or injurious products or services, including products subject to consumer recalls, explosive materials or fireworks, recreational drugs or substances, weapons, guns, ammunition, explosives, tobacco products, and related products or services.
4. Products or Services that Facilitate Illegal, Fraudulent, or Misleading Behavior Products or services may not be advertised on the Platform that facilitate illegal, fraudulent, or misleading behavior. Examples of such products or services include those used for hacking or obtaining unauthorized access to wire, electronic, or other networks, those designed to circumvent copyright limitations, those designed to cause inflation of website metrics, such as clicks, impressions, likes, or followers, those designed to produce inauthentic documents, work product, or credentials, those which obscure the the transparency of the blockchain, those designed to assist in evasion of law-enforcement activities, and those related to unlawful, improbable, or unsubstantiated financial products and services, investment, or contribution strategies and schemes.
5. Obscene, Offensive, or Inappropriate Content Advertisers may not use the Platform to disseminate obscene, offensive, or inappropriate content. Such prohibited content includes content that depicts intolerant or overly contentious political or cultural topics or views, that uses vulgar or sexually explicit words or images, that is designed to evoke visceral reactions, or that is improperly targeted toward minors.
6. Deceptive, Untrue, or Misleading Advertising Advertisers using the Platform must ensure their advertisements are truthful, non-deceptive, and defensible. Thus, advertisers may not employ techniques that are deceptive, untrue, or misleading, including failing to disclose material terms of an offer or service, irresponsible use of the term “free,” offering software that includes undisclosed collection of personal data or malicious applications, promoting products that facilitate spam, making factual claims unsupported by a reasonable basis, or using sensational, exaggerated, or overly provocative content.
7. Ads must not mislead users into interacting with their creative content; this includes ads that simulate system or site warnings/error messages or appear to offer a functionality that is not present within the ad. 8. Inappropriate Targeting Reddit strives to offer useful and relevant ads to its users. As such, all targeting must be relevant, appropriate, and in compliance with relevant legal obligations of the advertiser.
Examples of inappropriate targeting may include (but are not limited to): • Goods or services targeted to regions where they are illegal; • Age-restricted products or services targeted to minors; • Ads whose targeting illegally discriminates; • Ads whose targeting is likely to provoke or cause outrage. Ads disapproved for inappropriate targeting may be resubmitted with targeting revisions.
III) Restricted Advertisements In addition to the prohibitions on certain categories of advertisements, Reddit also enforces limitations how certain products and services may be advertised on the Platform. These restrictions are designed to ensure that controversial or age-restricted products or services appear only to the appropriate users.
These restricted categories of advertisements are discussed in more detail below: 9. Adult-Oriented Products or Services Only certain categories of products or services that are intended for adult audiences may be advertised on Reddit. If promotion of the product or service is permitted, Reddit restricts the method of promotion. The following categories of adult-oriented products and services are strictly prohibited: (i) products or supplements claiming to provide sexual enhancement; and (ii) services, including dating services, that provide for casual sex, international matchmaking, escorts, prostitution, intimate massages or other, similar services.
Promotion of permissible adult-oriented products and services must not: (i) violate applicable laws and regulations, which may include those applicable to the location of your business or of your target audience; (ii) target minors; (iii) include sexually explicit images or text; or (iv) promote products or services with unlawful themes or content.
(v) utilize the video ad format. 10. Alcohol Advertisements related to alcoholic beverages or products must: (i) comply with applicable laws and regulations, which may include those applicable to the location of your business and of your target audience; (ii) comply with industry standards, as may be reflected in the Distilled Spirits Council Code of Responsible Practices, the Beer Institute Advertising and Marketing Code and Guidelines, or the Wine Institute Code of Advertising Standards; and (iii) target individuals above the legal-drinking age.
11. Third-Party Rights Reddit restricts advertisements that may infringe upon the rights of third parties, including copyrights, trademarks, rights to privacy or publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights. If a proposed advertisement includes third-party content that has been authorized for such use, advertisers may be required to submit documentation to Reddit evidencing such authorization. 12. Gambling and Gambling-Related Services Advertisements for gambling and gambling-related services must: (i) comply with applicable laws, regulations, and licensing requirements, which may include those applicable to the location of your business, those applicable to the location of your target audience, and those related to responsible gambling; (ii) comply with industry standards, as may be reflected in the American Gaming Association’s Code of Conduct for Responsible Gaming; and (iii) ensure minors are not the target of such advertisements.
13. Paid Fantasy-Sports Games Advertisements for paid fantasy-sports games must comply with applicable laws, regulations, and licensing requirements, and must target only those audiences with a stated interest in such games.
In addition, these advertisements may not target minors or locations in which such games are unlawful. 14. Health and Pharmaceutical Reddit restricts the promotion of certain health and wellness products and services.
In addition to our own policies, all advertisements must comply with applicable laws, rules, regulations, licensing requirements, and industry standards. Advertisers are responsible for geo-targeting in compliance with country-specific laws and regulations. Further, advertisements may not make false, misleading, or exaggerated health claims; promote products that are subject to any regulatory action or warning; or promote a non-government-approved product in a manner that implies safety or efficacy in diagnosing, mitigating, treating, curing, or preventing a particular disease or ailment.
Subject to the preceding requirements and pre-approval by Reddit, the following products or services may be advertised, except as noted: (i) Pharmacies, including online pharmacies, that are certified by a third-party licensing organization such as the NABP or LegitScript. Proof of licensing may be necessary for approval. (ii) Pharmaceutical and medical products that are approved by the FDA (or foreign equivalent, depending on the advertisement’s geographic targeting) including but not limited to: • Prescription drugs • Over-the-counter medicines • Medical devices • Pharmaceutical manufacturers (iii) Approved supplements with a demonstrated record of safety, subject to Reddit’s sole discretion.
All ads for supplements must include appropriate, clearly legible disclaimers in the advertisement creative. Additionally, supplement advertisements may not do the following: • Make unsubstantiated claims • Promise unexpected results • Imply that the product can diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent a disease • Imply that a product is as effective or more effective than an FDA (or equivalent) approved prescription drug or medical treatment (iv) Clinical trials with proof of approval by the relevant regulatory authority.
(v) Appropriately licensed (including FDA or foreign equivalent approval where necessary) medical services, procedures, and tests including but not limited to: • Licensed medical professionals • Telemedicine providers with proper medical licensing and registration • Family planning tests and services • HIV and other infectious disease tests • Genetic testing services • Medical and cosmetic surgery (vi) The advertisement of addiction treatment centers and services is prohibited.
15. Political Advertisements Public communications relating to a political issue or made via the Platform by a political committee, by persons advertising the election or defeat of a clearly identifiable candidate or soliciting a political contribution, or by persons making electioneering communications are subject to preapproval from Reddit, must include clear "paid for by" disclosures within the ad copy and/or creative, and must comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including those promulgated by the Federal Elections Commission and any applicable state law.
16. Financial Services Including Cryptocurrencies Ads related to the exchange, management or investment of funds (fiat or virtual) must comply with known applicable laws, regulations, licensing obligations, and industry requirements. For all ads within this category, at minimum we require the following disclosures to be easily accessible in the ad or from the landing page: • Proper disclosure of all fees; • Evidence of appropriate regulator and/or third-party accreditations or certifications.
Subject to the preceding requirements and approval by Reddit, the following non-exhaustive list of products or services may be advertised: • FDIC (or foreign equivalent) registered banks and their associated products and services; • Tax filing services; • Apps that track/monitor stocks or financial trends, including cryptocurrency trackers so long as they do not require wallet integration; • Budgeting apps; • Brokerage or trading platforms and associated apps for traditional stocks/bonds as well as for cryptocurrency exchanges with a demonstrated record of legitimate business practices; • Apps or services that facilitate payment or transfer of funds; • Events related to business, finance, cryptocurrencies, and related subjects, so long as there is easily accessible disclosure in the ad copy or landing page clarifying that the information presented is not investment advice.
The following non-exhaustive list of products or services are prohibited from being advertised on the site: • Single securities or other tradable financial assets • Bail bonds • Payday loans • Debt assistance programs • Get rich quick schemes • Pyramid schemes and multi-level marketing • Penny auctions • Binary options • Cryptocurrency wallets • Unaccredited digital banks that perform any traditional bank-like functions • Cryptocurrency credit or debit cards • Initial coin offerings, token sales, or other means of promotion or advertisement of individual digital currencies or tokens.
17. Unofficial Resale of Event Tickets Advertisements for the unofficial resale of event tickets are prohibited if done in a manner that conflicts with the regulations of the venue or that is in violation of applicable law.
18. Live Animals Advertisements promoting the sale of live animals are generally prohibited; however, Reddit permits advertisements related to pet adoption from bona fide animal-welfare organizations.
19. Mature-Rated Media and Entertainment Video Video advertisements of the following (non-exhaustive) mature-rated media and entertainment are permitted with restrictions: • MPAA (or country-equivalent) rated-R films • TV Rating MA (or country-equivalent) shows • ESRB Rated MA (or country-equivalent) video games • A digital film or show from an established subscription-based streaming service Video ads are subject to the review and approval by Reddit and must conform to all technical requirements of section V of this policy.
Ads that include content not suitable for a general audience (e.g. “redband” trailers, or those that otherwise include graphic or potentially shocking portrayals of mature situations and/or profanity) must be tagged as #NSFW and may be rejected at Reddit’s sole discretion. IV) Editorial Requirements To ensure that advertisements appearing on the Platform enhance a user’s experience, Reddit maintains high standards for not only the content and style of advertisements, but also the URL and landing page of any promoted website.
20. Style Policies Advertisements on the Platform that appear clearly and concisely both add to a user’s experience and are more likely to produce the advertiser’s desired results. Below are general guidelines for effective communication using the Platform: (i) Use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. (ii) Do not use excessive punctuation, capitalization, or symbols.
(iii) Unless required by law or by a regulatory authority, do not include personal information in the headline title, such as a telephone number. (iv) Headline titles are limited to 300 characters, including spaces. (v) Thumbnail images may not exceed a file size of 500kb. (vi) Advertisements designed for a mobile platform must not contain text that is difficult to read or more than 40% text.
21. Quality Reddit requires all ads on the platform meet high professional and editorial standards. To ensure users are presented with high quality and useful ads, we require the following: • Ads must clearly and accurately represent the brand, product, or service that is being promoted • The ad should not purposely withhold information as a way to persuade users into interacting with it (eg “clickbait”) 22.
Content Policies Advertisements are a reflection of the product or service that is being promoted. Accordingly, advertisers should endeavour to achieve relevancy, accuracy, and fairness in promotion.
Below are general guidelines for contributing effective advertising content to Platform: (i) Advertisement copy in a language other than English should be appropriately targeted.
(ii) Advertising content must be suitable for a general audience unless specifically targeted to an appropriate audience. (iii) Advertisements may not use Reddit’s intellectual property without written consent.
23. URL and Landing Page Policies Advertisers must ensure that the destination URL and the landing page corresponding to the advertised product or service maintain the same level of quality expected for content on the Platform.
For example, landing pages may not be designed primarily to serve advertisements or contain features that inhibit a user’s ability to interact with or leave the page, including features such as pop-up or pop-under advertisements, misleading dialog boxes, or non-functional buttons.
In addition, the landing-page URL must match that of the advertisement, must not be solely designed to send a user elsewhere, and must not contain or refer to any content that would be otherwise prohibited by the Policy. V) Video Ads Video ads offer a different type of engagement with users than standard promoted post ads on Reddit and therefore have unique specifications and policies.
In addition to all other listed policies, videos must abide by the following additional guidelines: • All videos must contain high quality audio and visuals, devoid of illegible text and/or dialogue as well as blurry or unclear imagery.
Strobing, flashing, or otherwise distracting images are also disallowed. • All videos must be relevant to what is being advertised. • All thumbnails must be appropriate for all audiences and of high quality.
VI) Consequences for Violations In its sole discretion, Reddit will determine the consequences for a violation of the Policy or of the rejection of any submitted content. Consequences may include the following: (i) Disapproval: Advertising content in conflict with this Policy or determined to be inappropriate for the Platform in Reddit’s sole discretion may be disapproved by Reddit. (ii) Restriction: Reddit, in its sole discretion, may restrict or entirely prevent certain domains, websites, or services from using the Platform.
(iii) Suspension: Reddit, in its sole discretion, may suspend an advertiser’s account from contributing content to the Platform. If an account is suspended, any related accounts and content from such accounts will be suspended as well.